Yellow Earth launches a new two year Professional Writers’ Programme
17 January 2017
Yellow Earth launches a new two year Professional Writers’ Programme for writers of East Asian* descent led by Caroline Jester
Four early career writers will be selected to take part in this intensive new two year programme with the aim of developing at least one play for the company to produce. If you are a writer of drama of East Asian* descent with a new idea for theatre, this programme will develop your idea and craft by providing support from industry experts.
It will include:
- A seed commission of £2,000 per writer to include all travel and expenses
- Six writing workshops held at Soho Theatre, Dean Street, London W1 in Year One
- Eight one to one dramaturgy meetings
- Development workshops with actors and directors
- Public Readings
- Industry connections
- Submit an outline and a sample scene for the new play you would like to work on if selected for this programme
- Submit one previous full length piece of work in your chosen medium; theatre, radio or screen.
- Submit an application form which can be downloaded from the website. Completed application forms and your submitted documents can be emailed to [email protected]
- The reading process to select writers will be anonymous, please do NOT include your name and contact details on your outline & sample scene or on your full length piece. Your name and contact details should be on the application form only.
The document file names of each of your submitted documents should be as follows:
Title of your new play_OUTLINE_SAMPLE SCENE
Title of your new play _PLAY TITLE OF FULL LENGTH PIECE
The Professional Writers’ Programme is open to all writers of East Asian* descent from across the UK but please note that the 6 writing workshops will be held in London on a Saturday and you will be expected to attend all of them. The one to one dramaturgy meetings can be held remotely.
The deadline for applications is 5pm Friday 17th February 2017. Applications should be sent to [email protected]
All applicants must eligible to live and work in the UK.
Interviews for shortlisted writers will take place week commencing 6th March 2017. The first writing workshop will take place on Saturday 18th March at Soho Theatre.
Caroline Jester was Dramaturg and Literary Manager at Birmingham Repertory Theatre for a number of years and is a Fellow of The Institute of Creative and Critical Writing (BCU) and a Master on the MA in Dramatic Writing, Central Saint Martins. Publications include ‘Playwriting Across the Curriculum’ (Routledge), ‘Europa’ (Methuen), ‘Playwrights on their Craft UK/US’ (Methuen Drama, Bloomsbury 2017). She has worked with writers at all stages of their careers and as Dramaturg on numerous productions in the UK and abroad. She has developed playwriting programmes internationally including Singapore, US, Denmark, Poland, Croatia, Italy and Germany.
About Yellow Earth – Award winning Yellow Earth Theatre creates, nurtures and champions the best of British East Asian (BEA) Theatre. Founded in 1995, we provide much needed opportunities for BEA artists at all stages of their careers to stretch their muscles and grow with a programme of work that includes new plays, classics, staged playreadings of international playwrights and an extensive outreach programme.
*East Asia includes the following countries: Brunei, Burma, Cambodia, China, East Timor, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, North Korea, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam and their Diasporas.
This programme is supported by by Esmée Fairbairn Foundation, Arts Council England and Soho Theatre